A Quick story about this recipe: I randomly raided the fridge one rainy day (too lazy and cozy to go to market!) and managed to find enough leftovers to whip up this chicken and vegetable fried rice recipe. I was surprised how vibrant and colourful it looks, and that it came out almost as good as the fried rice I used to get from my favourite take-away place in Hong Kong!
Cook Time: 20 mins
Estimate cost: $ 5 ( or nothing if you are using leftover )
Serve 2- 3
- 1/2 (12 oz.) chicken breast, diced
- 1 large egg ( beaten )
- 1 1/2 cup of cooked rice ( Be sure to cook the rice ahead of time so it has time to cool down )
- 1 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 cup of frozen mixed vegetables
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Mix chicken pieces with soy sauce and sesame oil. Allow it to marinade for 30 minutes.
- Heat a tablespoon of oil in a large pan. Stir-fry prepared chicken for 2-3 minutes or until lightly golden. Transfer chicken to a plate.
- Add vegetable oil to a pan and fry onion for 3 minutes. When the onion has softened, stir in vegetables and cook for 1 minute The turn up the heat ( make sure the pan is hot enough ) and stir in rice and cook for 3 minutes, keep tossing and mixing with a wooden spoon.
- Finally, stir in egg mixture and soy sauce, heat through. Serve warm.