Estimated Cost: $10
- 4 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 4 sheets of Nori (dry seaweed)
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup of sushi rice
- 1 small pack of smoked salmon (100g)
- 1 small cucumber
- 2 eggs
- In a medium saucepan, bring 1 1/2 cups water to a boil. Add rice, and stir. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix the rice vinegar, sugar ,and salt.
- When the rice is ready, pour in the prepared vinegar mixture over the rice.
- Stir the rice gently in vertical motion with one hand, while fanning the rice with a paper in the other hand until the rice is cooled to room temperature.
- Lay out a sheet of seaweed on a bamboo sushi mat. Wet your hands. Using your hands, spread a thin layer of rice on the seaweed, and press into a thin layer.
- Arrange 1/4 of the cucumber, egg and smoked salmon, in a line down the center of the rice. Lift the end of the mat, and gently roll it over the ingredients, pressing lightly. Roll it forward to make a complete roll. Repeat with the rest of the ingredients.
- Cut each roll into 4 to 6 slices using a wet, sharp knife.
- Serve with soy sauce, wasabi and pickled ginger
Husband Says: "Pure sushi love. I'll eat them all if she doesn't eat quickly. True story."